Tuesday, February 7, 2012

This was no Kitty Hawk!

When Beth originally assigned this project, I was laughing to myself about how I was getting college credit for building/flying a kite... But of course the assignment wasn't really about the kite now was it? No, it was about whether or not you and your group member(s) got along, and were able to build and fly said kite.

The hardest part for us was the design process. We sat in class and brain stormed over how we could make a kite, fly it, then blow it the fuck up! Then Beth had to ruin it by not allowing our inner rocket scientists, get the better of us. Once we knew we couldn't have any kind of "physical or chemical" explosions... we decided on doing a large paper airplane, nay, a lightweight, aerodynamically, bad-ass, cardboard airplane rather. Once we settled on the design, it was a matter of materials and time.

We chose to meet last Tuesday, in our normal classroom, to make our plane. I brought the large sheets of thin cardboard, Chewy brought the drill, glue gun and glue sticks, and Alec brought decorating ideas. We folded, then hot glued everything together, and gave the "Beautiful Lass" her maiden voyage. Lets face it, it was awesome!!! It did fly in the technical sense, but we built one more with a wider wingspan, just in case. We threw both of them around the room to see which one had a better "flight" pattern, then started the detail process. We talked about what should go on the Lass, and came up with a common theme.

I took the Lass home with me and finished up all the coloring, and gathered some string, preparing for its flight in the courtyard. I must say, that like everyone else, as I walked in, the Lass just wanted to be set free!

I honestly didn't know how well it was flying, because I was to busy trying not to fall on my face as I sprinted around the courtyard, only to be stopped by a tree. I think that the Beautiful Lass, was a great success. Not only did it "fly," but it wasn't even scratched when it took a dive into the tree. I think our group did a great job with every aspect of this assignment. Ours might not have had a Black Power Ranger or a Sky Pirate on it, but she flew her heart (and my legs) out!!!

I know there were a couple of groups who had the typical "group" issues, but I think our group was drama free! I would consider all of the flights a success, and a job well done by all! Some of us are a little more winded now, but that's probably the same feeling the Wright Brothers felt when they took off in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment